escort headlight confusion

Hi all,

96 Escort Encore 1.3. Dipped beam on the right seems to be dead but the full beam seems fine. Looking at the handbook and the assembly the dipped and full beam appear to be the same bulb! How can it be then that dipped doesn't work and full does? Am I missing something here?

Haven't managed to get what seems to be the bulb out yet.

Confussled.

Craig

Reply to
chandy

And as an aside, if I need to change the bulbs, what do people recommend? I'd like to think that even though there's no point in melting the lenses there might be something out there it would be a 'good idea' to fit other than whatever the book at halfrauds says is 'Standard'.

Craig

Reply to
chandy

Same bulb but 2 separate filaments inside. The dipped filament normally blows first as it's the one mostly used.

Reply to
Mark

The bulb is really 2 bulbs in 1. The 2 filaments are in slightly different places to give the dip and main beam patterns.

Do not touch the glass of the new bulb or it will ruin it.

On the Escort (like many cars) access to the rear of the headlamps is limited. You need to unclip a plastic cover, then remove a wire clip. Note that the bulb only fits back in one way.

HTH

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The message from snipped-for-privacy@totalise.co.uk contains these words:

Yes, they're the same bulb - they have two filaments, one of which has died.

Look inside and you'll see there's one naked filament, full beam, and one in a cup which shields the light from part of the reflector, giving the dip pattern.

Reply to
Guy King

Careful you don't get done for impersonating a hairdresser.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The message from "John" contains these words:

I told an old dear in a Fiesta her fog light was on, once, in Bushey. Since I was parking a little way down the road I watched as she sat through several cycles of the traffic lights thumbing through the handbook. Luckily there was another lane beside her.

Reply to
Guy King

I'm pretty sure you need 'H4' bulbs for you're car. You'll be able to get a replacement for £5-£10 depending on where you go, however now's maybe a good time to think if you're headlights are as good as you'd like?, if not then maybe replace both sides and go for something like Osrams silverstar that are 50% brighter

. If you go for a ' normal ' standard replacement, or an 'upgraded' replacement i'd suggest you either get a mate to help you fit them (get him/her to show you how to do it) or go to a motor factors with a car park very near and explain that you have no idea how to change them and ask if somebody would help you fit them(before you acually buy them).

Oh yeah, and as others have posted, the handbook is right, they are the same bulb, but there is 2 separate filiments in the same bulb (similar to the stop/side light at the back).

Reply to
Chris

Just imagine the confusion if his car was fitted with the older dim-dip system ;) To be honest though, that did confuse me the first time I had a car with dim-dip. Anyone know why they stopped doing this? It was probably a good thing given the amount of knobs who drive in thick fog with only sidelights on!

Reply to
Mark

Hey I knew the light was gone, just not that there were two filaments in the bulb :P And I did consult the handbook and did attempt to remove the old one to take with me but it was a bitch trying to get the clip off that holds the bulb in as it can't have moved in years :P And this is only my second car so..well.. :P:P:P

Reply to
chandy

One of the filaments has probably gone in the twin filament bulb

Reply to
R. Murphy

So was the Escorts ability to iluminate the entire array of rear bulbs when hitting the brake pedal once the water had got into the multiplug and corroded the connectors!!!

Matt

Reply to
Matt F

Maybe a car maintenance course would help you.

Bill

Reply to
Bill