escort seems to jump

ok here goes I have a m reg ford escort 1.8 zetec & while I am driving along slowly either just speeding up or just slowing down the car seems to jump( best way I can describe it is it feels like it is being rocked backwards & fowards slightly). also the temp gauge doesn't seem to get very hot any more infact it hardly gets out of the white box at the bottom of the gauge. also the fuel economy has gone right down I am getting less than 200 miles out of a full tank now. if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Reply to
higgsy

First replace the thermostat so it warms up to operating temperature correctly. This will fix all of your problems.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Thanks where is the thermostat located & is it easy to change

Reply to
higgsy

Right hand end of the cylinder head under the coil pack. 30mins to change taking your time. Ensure you get a new gasket with the new thermostat and I would flush out the cooling system and refill with 50% antifreeze whilst your at it. So about an hour then.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

I'm just about to do this on my own Escort. Am I right in thinking that it's OK to just pour the old antifreeze down the drain?

Any particular tips on avoiding airlocks when refilling?

Thanks,

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News

Hmm probably not, but I dont know..

Fill it nice and slowly. Then start the engine with cap off and allow it to warm up. Rev engine occasionally to speed up circulation and hopefully force out air.

With engine 3/4 hot, replace cap and drive for a mile or so. Allow engine to cool alittle and top up.

Check again after running from cold to hot and covering afew miles.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Bleed screws?

Reply to
Malc

There aren't any on the Zetec engine. Infact find me any Ford with bleed screws...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Gosh, how primitive

Reply to
Malc