FAO Dave Plowman

Does uk.rec.audio still exist or am I thinking up the wrong name for the group?

Reply to
Doki

yes it still exists :)

Reply to
bongo rule

It does, but it's more correctly called Keith G.'s Blog these days. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any idea if I'd be better off with an old Arcam Alpha 3 cd player or an old Technics MASH? I know the Technics are alright, but I could stack the arcams on top of each other easily and they'd all look the same? Feeling too lazy to pester my news providers...

Reply to
Doki

The Arcam is certainly a decent bit of kit. Does it play home recorded CDs ok? That's sometimes a problem.

I've still got a Philips CD 104 in use...;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Heh - I no longer have a CD player in use - both my home systems are DVD based. Last CD player was a CD63mkII.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Heh - I've got what must be a slightly later model than that - a CD 732. Bought with my birthday money when I was 14 IIRC, and still in regular use today. Nothing fancy, no A-B repeat or owt like that, just works. Probably not the super-duper best in terms of absolute audio reproduction, but I haven't got audiophile-style ears [1] so I'm not too bothered.

[1] Musical ears, yes - I can pick out obscure chords from the other end of the country, but when it comes to noticing whether or not the top end of the audio spectrum's being accurately reproduced through high-end gear, I'm buggered.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

My amp's a 1988 Yamaha A1 (I think, I can't be arsed to go downstairs and look)

I can serpently notice the difference between my hifi (16 year old Tannoy

605 speakers) and the (admittedly very cheap) Tevion home cinema system I bought from Lidl. It's quite good for films but fairly crap for music.
Reply to
Malc