I am in the dark- can anyone help!

My name is Emyr from Cardiff. I own a 51 plate Volvo v40 diesel. Its a great car - but I have one problem. The lights on the car are very poor. On main beam - the lighting patern is very short - even whith stronger bulbs fitted - I still canot see well enough for safe driving in contry areas. I would be very greatfull if anyone could shine some light on this problem.

Emyr Williams

Reply to
Emyr

How do you say that in english?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

/me ducks

Tha hat

Cheers D.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

I'd hazard a guess at Em-ear.

Can't help with his post though, other than suggest that the headlight driving relay contacts are bright and clean, and that the headlights are adequately earthed.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

SpecSaves :-)

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

"Emyr" wrote in news:1152556691.850442.51650 @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Take the sunglasses off, summer's over ;-) Check the alignment of the lights, maybe they are aimed too low. Does the car have a headlight trimmer?

Reply to
Tunku

If the patterns short on main beam then the last time they where adjusted for the MOT there was something very heavy in the boot.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

sheep @ welly boots ;o)

Reply to
reg

No one seems to fit auxillary driving lamps these days - are they still legal? I fitted some to an old car of mine when I was doing a lot of country driving some years ago.

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

The message from snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com contains these words:

That's because the sort who wanted them are now catered for by front foglights.

Reply to
Guy King

That's what I thought.. check the load adjustment dial for the headlights. Should be a thumbwheel down by the steering wheel somewhere, although I don't know exactly where on Volvos.

If the car is lightly loaded but the dial is set to the 'fully loaded' position then it will have pointed the headlights a long way down, and have exactly the symptoms you describe.

Another thing that I have come across before - someone who thought sidelights were 'dipped' and dipped was 'main beam'.

When I showed them where the real 'main beam' was they were stunned...

Reply to
PC Paul

"PC Paul" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com:

Reply to
Tunku

New driver, knew there was a 'low' and 'high' beam. Turn the switch one click, get dim light, turn it one more, get bright light.

Not that hard to understand when you see it like that. Especially when full beam is on a completely different stalk.

Reply to
PC Paul

"PC Paul" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com:

RTFM? I would.

Reply to
Tunku

So would I.

But there's a reason 'RTFM' exists as a phrase in the first place!

Reply to
PC Paul

Not sure on the legalities, I don't know if you are permitted up to two lamps... but as Guy says, the primary audience for these products have moved to front fog lamps... which of course are useless in such circumstances!

Reply to
DervMan

PC Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@home.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Driving instructor failure, then.