M Reg 2.0 ltr Audi 80

can anyone tell me what the reason for the water light and ! light on the dash when the ignition is switched on these both flash and are red in colour cooling water in header tank is ok, can someone please explain

Thanks

Richard

Reply to
Rich

The message from "Rich" contains these words:

If it's not actually overheating, it thinks it is. Check the temperature senders.

Reply to
Guy King

Or it thinks there's no water in the tank when there is. Again, a sensor problem.

The other one (the !) is to do with brake pressure.

Reply to
Art Deco

Brake warning light should be (!), to symbolise a set of brake shoes. A ! on it's own is a general warning light, which in this case is most likely related to faulty sensor (either temp or low coolant)

Reply to
M Cuthill

Are you speaking in general terms or referring to the Audi in particular?

Reply to
Art Deco

I am referring to the Audi you are correct the ! is inside a set of brake shoes (!) I thought this one was linked to the water warning indicator but did not know what that indicator referred to, thanks for the input will check the above.

Richard

Reply to
Rich

It is more likely that it's the (front) brake pads than the (rear) brake shoes (if you have drum brakes at the back). The pads have a wear indicator which triggers the warning light when they go below a certain thickness. Brake shoes have no such wear indicator.

Reply to
Art Deco