More tyre advice

At the risk of starting another funny thread, I'd just like any pointers to:

? 215/55/16/W tyres for Volvo V70 2.4 (I have to replace worn Pirelli p6000s - but don't want them again). Low noise and strong sidewalls, if that is a factor, would be good - the Pirellis are rather soft I think and my wife has kerbed them a lot.

? A good online source - my local man will fit them.

Thanks

Ic

Reply to
iclaudius

use promotion code EMP001 as well for a 10% discount. You can get a delivered price or a fitted price.

Reply to
diy-newby

The Pirelli's are amung the best tyre for the money IMHO, you'll pay alot more for Mich's for no benefit.

The P6000's are a comparitively hard compound, which you will need for the V70 as its a heavy car and works the front end hard.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

IMHO strong sidewalls and low noise on rough tarmac or concrete don't go hand in hand unfortunately.

Continental PremiumContact 2's walk all over P6000 banana skins for grip, and are quiet enough for me.

The latest in depth AutoExpress 215/55R16 tyre test for 16 makes gave the honours to.........

1st Goodyear Hydragrip (best in the wet, near the bottom in the dry, but there's not much difference dry apart from braking with 4 metres difference from 1st to 16th) 2nd Vredestein Sportrac 3 (great all rounders, bit noisy though) 3rd Continental PremiumContact 2 (superb dry tyres with much better braking than the top 2, still rated good wet) 4th Michelin Primacy HP

I use the Contis and they are brilliantly dependable in the wet, so those other 2 must be amazing. Michelin tyres last longer by about 20% but they cost 20% more and are quite poor for aquaplaning, but good at everything else. Pirelli P7's are awful in the wet in every respect, P6000's weren't in the test, they're ancient in tyre technology terms.

Reply to
Steve B

Many thanks for the info - I've just spent a bit of time on this and thought the Continentals the best choice at the more pricy end. Hankook Ventus Prime, rated by Which?, are tempting as they are quite cheap.

Is this test in the current issue?

Ic.

Reply to
iclaudius

I we skip anything that dumb and dumber can take issue with then look for Dunlop Sport Maxx , they cost £44.90 at the moment and are cheaper than some less well known brands.

Reply to
Fred

No, it was a couple of weeks ago.

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
Fred

Reply to
Steve B

In message , Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding much like

Have you trained "your" dog to punctuate correctly?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

My dog was pissed after watching the Rugby, ohh and I missed a few English lessons when I was at skool. In fact I missed a few years of school when I was not at skool, at the age of 10 I found I could travel anywhere in England on a platform ticket. So I had the choice of some pedantic arse hole teaching me punctuation, or a 2p trip to the science museum.

Reply to
Fred

In message , Fred

Unfortunately, when you try and c*ck the piss at someone's typing ability and then f*ck up on the grammar, there's usually some pedantic arse hole waiting there to remind you of how stupid you look.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Ahh but as I was not trying to "c*ck the piss" out of Adrian's grammar you have the wrong end of the stick, I think ( I was so pissed I can't even remember posting that) I made a lame attempt to insult his IQ , as he always trolls my posts I may have been surprised that his reply was almost intelligent.

Reply to
Fred

Fred ("Fred" > Have you trained "your" dog to punctuate correctly?

Which is why you've attained the lofty heights in life of "tyre fitter".

Reply to
Adrian

Did you attend school ?

Reply to
Fred

Fred ("Fred" >>> Have you trained "your" dog to punctuate correctly?

Yes, thank you. I wanted to do better than be a Kwik-Fit Fitter. I was proved right, too.

Reply to
Adrian

I rest my case.

Reply to
Fred

Fred ("Fred" >> Did you attend school ?

Oh, sorry - did you _actually_ mean to ask "Did you go to the science museum?" Yes, thank you.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Adrian writes

Reply to