At the risk of starting a long thread - Power Washers and Engine Bays!!

Dear All

I've been power-washing the engine bay of my old 1997 2.0 Mondeo Ghia X for many years, about once per year, without incident. Those of you who know Fords will also know that this engine is petrol. For the record, I've never bothered with covering distributors, coil packs, HT leads etc with plastic - I've simply followed this process:

1) Liberally spray "GUNK" from Halfords all over engine, including plastic parts etc

2) Powerhose off with Bosch Aquatak funky machine, substantially, until all 'rainbow-coloured' water has disappeared

3) Optional: Wash again with normal hosepipe, getting a little closer to components than I would using the powerwasher (minimum 1ft. at all times)

4) Take car for italian service. Wait until engine warm, then plenty of welly along the nearest motorway and back. At least 20 miles / half an hour.

5) Check engine bay is dry over all major components; wipe water remnants away with dry cloth.

So... today I performed the process on my new Mondeo 2.2.TDCi Ghia X for the first time. Incidentally, I should also add that I'd just performed an oil and filter change immediately prior to the engine bay power-washing process. (Pretty thick really - Ed).

To my horror, whilst power-washing, I noticed that the design of the new TDCi engine is such that there is an area where water can collect around the top of the dipstick filler tube. It drained away slowly, but I am almost positive that *some* water will have migrated down said tube, mixing with the (brand new) engine oil.

Diesel engine started perfectly, but the question is, do these engines get hot enough to burn off any unwanted water in the engine oil?? Paranoia tells me to replace the engine oil AGAIN - but common sense tells me to rag it for a while to burn off the water in the new oil.

Opinions, please.

Car is on an 05 plate, with 17K on the clock.

Rgds

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

Tony

Reply to
TMC

is an area where water can collect around

if no 'mayo' in the oil it's fine....

I'm surprised there's much to clean - most modern bays are a sea of plastic....

Reply to
john

Check the oil level, has it risen? Oil floats on water.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks for the report of a personal experience of years of power washing the engine without ill effects. I've saved that for future reference. Indeed, it is a controversial practice. To give a balanced view of the subject, and especially for those ready to embark on this, which may (or may not) lead to irreversible subtle adverse effects on the running of the engine, the pros and cons should be appreciated and well understood. Here is one report from the anti-power-wash lobby.

Lin Chung

You may be able to rid of the water, all of it, from the bottom of the sump. Put your car in a position such that the sump plug is at the lowest level, i.e. most dependent point. Let it rest there for a good few hours before draining, say, a quarter of the oil from it. Water, being lighter, will separate out at the bottom and be drained off. Worth a try (yes, I am aware of baffles inside the sump to minimize sloshing), as there is no alternative.

Reply to
Lin Chung

Oops....Oil being lighter. Confused again....

Reply to
Lin Chung