Removing paint from car bodywork

Does anyone what is the best way of removing small amounts of paint off the body of a car? The paint was on the ground and was difficult to drive past it slowly without going into it. As a result small specks of it went on to the bottom part of the drivers door and little specks also landed on the inside arch of the front bumper.

The car has dark blue metallic paint and i would like to know what is the best way of removing it, if at all possible?

Thanks in advance

du.

Reply to
du

Cellulose thinners will very likely get it off, although it depends a bit on what sort of paint it is. The trouble with thinners is that it may also get your car's paint off, but again, it depends on what sort it is. Try a little spot somewhere where it doesn't matter. Your car may have a two-pack paint coat so I expect (but not sure) that this would accept cellulose thinners without damage.

Ordinary paint stripper may work OK, but you'd need to test it somewhere unimportant.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Hiya best way is to use T-Cut Matalic based. Since the Paint is still relatively fresh should take it out without any problems,

Ritz

Reply to
Dattani, R (Ritesh)

The message from "Robin Graham" contains these words:

Provided the original paint isn't really fresh it'll just stay there when you wipe over with thinners. Worked a treat on the wife's Clio when some arse sprayed a row of cars.

Reply to
Guy King

Using abrasives (which is what this is) on a lump of paint runs the risk of taking off surrounding bodywork paint while removing the lump, unless the solvent in the T-Cut dissolves the lump. I'd prefer to dissolve it off if possible.

Rob

Reply to
Robin Graham

I can always get tar and white-line paint and the like off with polish (a very mild abrasive, if you like), no matter how long its been on for. Provided the paint splashes have not been able to bond to the underlying bodywork paint, but instead are sitting on the lacquer/polish layer, I'd be surprised if they didn't come off with a bit of gentle persuasion.

Reply to
John Laird

Thanks for all the replies everyone, by the way have you got a particular name or make of cellulose thinners that i should be looking for?

Thanks

du.

Reply to
du

The cheapest. 5 Litres for less than a tenner. Known colloquially as 'Cooking' thinners. Mainly used for washing sprayguns etc. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yup. My advice as well. Always worked for me. Very unlikely to affect the original paintwork, but try it on an unoticeable area first. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Try meths or surgical spirit before you try anything else, as long as the paint has not been there for a month or so it should come off, and the meths will not harm your paintwork.

Reply to
pb