Scenic - gauge shows overheat but engine not hot !

You may have seen my earlier post on this... Following cyclinder head rebuild, Scenic had been overheating intermittently (or so I though).

Drove it yesterday and it appeared to be overheating (according to the gauge). Stopped the car, popped the bonnet and found the engine wasn't really hot at all (I expected it to be baking hot). Also, water in radiator tank was only luke warm - weird or what?

However, fan was also running (it runs on scenic even with ignition off if its hot enough).

I'm assuming theres a thermostat somewhere that controls this and supplies info for the gauge?

I'm wondering whether its knackered or not reconnected properly or something?

Reply to
paulfoel

THe fan thermostatic switch and the temperature guage sender are two=20 seperate components.

So if the fan is on anf the guage is showing hot, there's a pretty good=20 chance that's the case.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

THe fan thermostatic switch and the temperature guage sender are two seperate components.

So if the fan is on anf the guage is showing hot, there's a pretty good chance that's the case.

Which would point to it being an airlock. That's if you haven't already lunched the head gasket.

Reply to
gazzafield

Dont understand why the engine wasnt hot when I stopped though....

No - I havent ruled out the head gasket but I thought an airlock would only happen once......

How do you check and/or solve this?

Reply to
paulfoel

When you say the engine wasn't hot, how far had you driven? Did you put your hand on it? If there is an airlock then the only way to solve it is to bleed the system. They can continue to occur more than once. Try a Rover K Series engine, they can be a total bastard for airlocks.

If it's anything like my Laguna it'll have bleed screws all over the place. Start with the lowest one, undo it until water flows freely. and work from there. Check the HBOL. You will probably have one at the heater matrix pipes. This will be the last one. Keep the heater controls at fully warm as this opens the valve to the heater matrix and makes sure you are doing the full system. Have the engine running and remove this. When the engine gets hot it should literally start a small fountain out of here with no spits from bubbles.. When flowing freely replace screw. Keep an eye on the water level as you do this. Have someone keep an eye on the temp gauge too.

If you have no joy with this, pull the thermostat and test it. Again, if it is like the Laguna I had you will need to put it in a pot and boil it. The thermostats on Renault open at stupid temperatures. My Laguna was fully open at about 99degrees so you could put it in freshly boiled water but by the time you poured it it had cooled a few degrees and it was very hard to tell if it was opening at all. It took me a while to twig.

Reply to
gazzafield

Drove about a mile....

Yes. It was hot but not so hot that I couldnt touch it....

Reply to
paulfoel

You might as well try the above first before thinking head gasket. Can't hurt.

Reply to
gazzafield

For the love of God...

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

Am I missing something here?

Reply to
paulfoel

Yeah...IT'LL STILL BE LUKE WARM TO THE TOUCH AT ONLY A MILE.

THat clear enough for you?

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

WHICH IS WHY I WAS SURPRISED THAT THE GAUGE REGISTERED IT AS OVERHEATING !!!!!!!

Also, is there any need to be so aggressive ?

Reply to
paulfoel