22re Runs Hotter than Normal, but Does not Overheat

Was wonder about heating issue with 22RE engine. When I drive my truck in warm air temperature or on sand (increased engine stress), the engine temperature gauge displays in the middle or about 3/4 of the way up the meter. It will go to red only if I am running it hard on soft sand for about 2 miles in 1st gear (usually I do not need to run it like this though.) If idle, should the fan engage and "roar" when the engine temperature exceeds a certain limit? I have not heard this roar yet, and the fan seems to only cycle with the normal engine RPM. I was thinking I may need to replace the fan motor and/or perhaps the thermostat?

Its an odd condition though, since the engine does not "overheat" but just seems to run a little hotter than normal.

Reply to
Bill

I would plan on replacing your radiator real soon. If 22RE is running consistently above 1/2 on the heat guage, then you are looking at a bad radiator.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

If your fan is belt driven has a bad fluid coupling (clutch) it would cause those symptoms. Another common one is getting hot at the first stop light after highway driving.

I would think its safe to assume anytime the engine temp is above normal, the cars stopped the fan should be moving as much air as it can.

GL Dan

Reply to
Danny G.