Toyota Yaris wheel bearing cost

My wife's Yaris is in early stage of wheel bearing failure. Its only a slight drone at the moment but jacking it up and spinning the wheels confirm that its the OSR bearing that's noisy. Its only done 33k but a quick google reveals that its not uncommon for them to go that early.

Anyway, my local independent who does most of our car servicing has quoted £202 inclusive. The same garage changed the front wheel bearing (including hub) on my Focus for £140 about six months ago.

Any idea why the Yaris would cost so much more?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Autodata only quotes one hour for a Yaris ('99-06 1.3) rear wheel bearing, so I would be inclined to politely query it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The garage charges a reasonable £40/hour (well they did six months ago) but some more googling reveals that the hub does indeed have to be replaced but also that the ABS sensor is part of the hub which hikes the price up.

Reply to
Paul Giverin
[...]

Yeah Gods! What a crap design!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

As used by VW and no doubt by Audi, Skoda etc. too.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 15:25:47 +0100, Tim wrot= e:

And it's presumably one of the new generation ones, that you can dismant= le =

but almost noone does

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It does sound a lot. My brother has just had a rear one done on his BMW

330t for 180 all in. I'd say a RWD one would be more tricky to change.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)