VW Passat 2006.... ECU error message EGR valve Insufficient flow detected

Hi all, I have a VW Passat 2006 saloon.

We are about to sell it and annoyingly the MIL has come on.

Reading with my ECU reader is revealing

"EGR valve Insufficient flow detected"

EGR is know to be Exhaust Gas Recirculator valve.

Whats the most common reason to cause this? A perished vacuum rubber hose or the EGR valve itself?

Regards,

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

EGR valve Clogged up with diesel exhaust crud is the most likely.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Interesting if it's a petrol model!

Reply to
Davey

it is in fact a diesel....

so Mr Cheerful, all I need to do is remove EGR valve, dismantle it, clean it, reassemble it and refit?

What should I use as the cleaner for the exhaust crud?

Regards

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

It was a reasonable guess that it was a diesel. The valve is not dismantleable unless you are into serious engineering. The stuff to clean it is sold in car shops as EGR Cleaner spray !! The alternative is to replace it with new (which might be needed anyway)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Oven cleaner seems to work

Reply to
steve robinson

Some mechanics prefer Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner to EGR cleaner and it is much, much cheaper.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

There's EGR on some petrols, too, and it still clogs up... Obviously, not with diesel soot, but it still clogs...

Reply to
Adrian

Oh, I know that. It was only the 'diesel' part that I was commenting on.

Reply to
Davey

As Mr C says, the valve itself being clogged is most likely. Do you know what engine you have? Some CR engines have a filter that can block, but this may only be North American ones.

Chris Bartram

Check the 'outlet' pipe in the manifold where the EGR discharges into is nicely clean, as well as the pipework and EGR valve itself. and the plastic link rod & actuator on the throttle valve. If the rod falls off, and they do, the throttle cant close to increase EGR flow, which sets the code. You'll also notice the engine comes to an abrupt stop when switched off rather than a smooth one.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim