02 Sensor

Not being a great or even a good mechanic or even a mechanic I need more info on replacing the 02 Sensor. Where can I buy a generic one? Also looking in the Mazda Miata Enthusiast's Shop Manual, on page 5:41 I can only find reference to *Throttle Sensor* and the *Oxygen Sensor* but nothing on the 02 Sensor. Is there any information in this book about replacing the 02 Sensor that you know of?

Thanks for any contibutions to this problem. Jenlura

Reply to
JEN LURA

it must be too obvious... O2 = OXYGEN

Pete

Enthusiast's

information in

Reply to
Simply Pete

or more correctly... O2 = molecular OXYGEN !

Enthusiast's

information in

Reply to
Simply Pete

Few of us are.

I thought *mechanics* did that sort of thing?

One is

one you need depends on the year of your miata. I have a21027 on my 96, IIRC.

Use the instructions for the oxygen sensor and do it twice. You have to get it *absolutely right*, for EPA compliance.

You are welcome. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

O2 is the chemical name for oxygen. I would look for references to "oxygen sensor" in your repair manual.

Reply to
Brian Turner

Check out oxygensensors.com

Reply to
Brian Turner

I went into some reasonable parts store and told them I needed a replacement sensor for a 90 Miata. They gave me some generic sensor, which I spliced into the existing wiring harness. Works fine, can't recall what it cost, but I would guess around $40 - $50.

Before breaking the old one loose, I put a little penetrating oil around the threads. Took a small amount of grunting, but I don't recall any part of the removal and replacement being a big deal.

Ken

Enthusiast's

information in

Reply to
KWS

The O2 sensor and the oxygen sensor are the same thing. You will need a special socket to remove it. The auto parts store should have it. Follow the instructions about wire length.

Reply to
Natman

Just want to take the time to thank all the Miata people who answered my 02 sensor question. It was a big help. Jenlura

Reply to
JEN LURA