16" Alloys with 45 section tyes

Hi Guys,

I am replacing the standard 14" 7 spoke hollow wheels on my 94 Eunos, after one too many bumps have caused a buckle. I really fancy the OZ Records in 16" with 205/45 section tyres. I cannot find any weights for the OZ Records at all, from many hours surfing, but needless to say they are going to be a fair bit heavier than the 14" puppy's (11lb), I know tyre selection is going to be limited, by going the 16" route, but as I swear by T1-S's so as long as I can get some of these in 16" I don't really care too much. My questions are 2.

1/ Does anyone have any ideas about the weight of these wheels?

2/ I would be interested to hear from anyone who is running 16" wheels on a MX-5, how it handles with tramling etc, and if it is still as controllable/catchable when the rear starts to slide.

I found with an old MK1 MR2 that putting bigger wheels ruined the handling completely, the out right grip was way better, but when it slid you had to have the reactions of a fly on wizz to catch it.

Cheers Mark.

Reply to
gixer

17" Records are 22 lb. Forget it.
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

That's double the weight of the 14' puppies ouch, Where did you find that info Lanny i've spent bloody hours searching.

Reply to
gixer

Bigger wheels should either be more sensitive to bumps or disproportionately heavier. The OZ Records look like they have plenty of profile, though.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Hi Leon,

What do you mean by "The OZ Records look like they have plenty of profile"?

surely the profile is round?

;)

Reply to
gixer

One of the wheel weight tables at the miata.net Garage.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Which page mate? I must be going blind in me old age cause that was the first place I looked!!!

Reply to
gixer

I meant cross sectional profile of the rim, as a beam.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I was mistaken. It wasn't one of those tables, but a vendor site from a Google search. Now I can't find it again. Bugger.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Thanks Leon, That just backs up what Lanny was saying, they are definitely heavy. The problem is I am having major problems finding a good brand, light weight wheels here, The only options I can see are, either mail order but I am going to get stuffed on the courier charges, Or go for some of the available, but damn heavy puppies, I don't mind going a little heavier as that usually means they are inherently stronger but

18lbs ouch. I am still not sure what you mean by the Profile Leon, do you mean the Offset?

Cheers.

Reply to
gixer

Since they say "approx." and are selling them, Lanny's number seems reasonable.

Actually, Tire Rack shipping charges were very low, the last time I ordered from them (years ago.) You could go for a wheels and tires package and probably get lighter wheels and better tires already mounted for less than local.

*** Oops. I forgot you are in Greece.

Approx 18 lbs. My guess is it may be more. In any case, you are going way out the design range of the Miata with that much weight, even disregarding that 17" tires are going to be much heavier too.

No. Basically, the radial extend of the rim. A force acting at a distance of the mounting point of a construction element really wants the construction element to extend a fair distance in the direction of the force.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Steel wheels weighed 18 pounds, even back in 1990. The 2002 SE also comes with 18 pound wheels. I wouldn't want any wheels that heavy on my miata, but I don't think that 18 pounds is going outside of the design range (though it is probably at the upper end) since Mazda has offered miatas, both M1's and M2's, with wheels of this weight.

Pat

Reply to
pws

You are absolutely right. The steel wheels were 18 lb. I withdraw the comment.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Still not got a clue what your talking about Leon.

The distance from the mounting point to the inner edge of the rim is of the offset.

Reply to
gixer