faded paint query

the red paint on the metal of our '91 mx shines-up like new but the paint on the fiberglass/plastic rear bumper and environs is quite dull and seems to want to stay that way. do i need to repaint that area or is there something that will shine it up?

Reply to
Art McGinn

Usually it's pretty easy to get it shined back up and looking good with a cleaner wax or combo of polishing compound-polish-wax. The impossible thing is to keep it that way w/o regular re-doing! This is assuming typical red '91 miata paint.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

What is regular? Once or twice a year? My car is now firmly encased in a thick layer of protective grime that is completely scratch and dent-resistant....

It's really hard for me to take good, regular care of a color that I hate. (the typical red 1991 color). I did much better keeping up with the Starlight Mica Blue.

Pat

Reply to
pws

impossible thing

typical red

ColorX from Meguiar's does a pretty good job of bringing the shine back on those areas but you need to keep applying it - at least 3 or 4 times per year in my experience.

Of course if someone crunches those areas, you can get nice shiny new ones and that solves the problem as well.

And yes, I'm speaking from experience. ;-(

No, not recently but Belle did have that experience.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

all: thanks for the feedback. will try the maguires. art

Reply to
Art McGinn

Once you succed in polishing out the faded paint, and have a finish that meets your approval-- A high carnuba wax will provide a hard durable finish. I've had the best luck with Marine/RV wax for fiberglass and regular paint finish. RV's and boats are generally a real pain to wax, and thus only get such treatment infrequently. Durability of the wax is critical. (99 Red built before clearcoat production change (Paint Code SE)

Reply to
Chuck

I also have a Red Miata, which I have had since October 5, 1989. I ordered it on May 30th of 89, prior to the factory rollout date. Anyway.....it still looks like new. I have never used any synthetic wax or cleaner on my Miata, only Meguiar's Mirror Glaze HI- TECH Yellow Wax 26 at least 3 times yearly. People can not believe the paint is origional, it has a brilliant shine..even the bumpers. I keep my Miata garaged but exercise it regularly...every day ..Top Down in sunny SW Florida..

Reply to
bayman2222

Oh boy. I have the same issue on my 96 in Montego Blue. Beautiful color, but that rear panel between the lights has a grudge. It's not hard to protect it with wax (I like the classic Turtle Wax myself, it buffs a little as it applies, as many waxes do, and it's very easy to apply) but it is a pain to get it restored to a nice shine. Mine has lost much of it's luster, but you and I both would benefit from a pro buffing job. Actually, there's something to be said for buying the appropriate tools and buffing the whole car (or just that panel) yourself, especially on a car as old as yours.

Be careful though, there are plenty of "pro grade" tools out there that will actually scratch that paint job. Look around and ask around on the forums at Miata.net to get a better idea of what materials work well and why, and choose the solution that works best for you.

Wax alone might be enough, but while buffing the wax off, put a little bit more elbow grease into it than otherwise. This will help blend the paint on that panel and buffitup quite nicely...though not to a "like new" shine.

One little trick for maintaining overall luster of the car...is to heavily wax the wheels right after cleaning them off. The wax makes brake dust come off with water! It's amazing!

Hope that helps!

-r0ll

Reply to
r0lliSl1fe