Locating NB Fuel Pump Relay.

Hello chaps. I'm having a bit of a delurk to ask a question...

I'm looking for the fuel pump relay on my 2003 1.8 'Sport'.

I'm in Scotland, UK so to the fellows across the pond it'll be wrong hand drive.

Here's a jpg of whats in the footwell on the drivers side:

Can anyone tell me if any of these is the fuel pump relay? If so, which one?

Alternatively I'm looking for a way to depressurise the fuel system so that I can change the fuel filter.

Warm regards,

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Apologies for the double post. Not a good way to pop my r.a.m.m.m cherry. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Heh, sorry I can't help you, it is a yellow plug on the early models, not sure if they changed it for the NB or not but I do not see it in your picture.

Bruce? Any idea where the relay is on your 2003 model?

Pat

Reply to
pws

Alternate ways-- Remove gas (petrol) tank cap. With the Miata on Jackstands or on a lift-- locate the fuel filter, and remove the covers. Obtain something in the nature of an oil drain pan or washpan that fits under the fuel filter. A pan diameter of about two feet is good. If you have a safety face shield, use it when you remove the old filter, as there is a chance of fuel spray. With the pan under the fuel filter, using the appropriate tool, release the "quick release fitting", and slowly pull the filter from the line. Cap or plug the line from the tank Plastic or wood golf tees work well if nothing else is available. Some replacement filters come with caps that will also work,

Release the other "quick release fitting on the engine side of the filter remove the filter and let drain into the pan. Note the nasty colour of the filter drainage. Use new plastic clips if you have them, and replace the filter.

It's best to do this in a very well vented area, and hopefully on a day with high humidity.

Avoid use of anything (tools, clothes etc.) that might cause a spark or static discharge. You must plug the line from the tank, or have self draining occur. If you have everything in order and within easy reach, It's possible to plug the line with your thumb while you grab the new filter and position it, then move yoour thumb out of the way, and push the new filter onto the fuel line from the tank. You should feel and likely hear a click when the fitting seats properly. The filter will not pull off the line if the catch is latched properly. I place a shop towel over the tank to filter fitting before I open the connection to the filter. This minimizes fuel spray.ald allows it to go into the pan.

If you are work>> Douglas Payne wrote:

Reply to
Chuck

LOL.. You Scots have a way with words..

Reply to
Jack McGann

You'll be forgiven if you send me a very large sum of money!*

*One of these days, that's going to work!
Reply to
XS11E

No Pat, I just had my hip replaced and I can't get under there for now. Sorry. The book just shows it as a 6 pin plastic connecton ( 2 PINS WIDE AND 3 PINS LONG ) It does not show a location. Looking at the "harness side of the connector :

A is the top. C is the center , E is the end

B is under A, " X "under C, " X " is under E

( " X " is a blank )

I hope you can see this picture I have tried to lay out for you. I guess you just need to look for the long narrow plug under there.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Sure, I'll give you US$1million, but I've only got this check for $1.5million from the Bank of Umbungoland which my late Father in Law was going to give to me but was unable to cash before he died in a plane crash in Brazil.

If I make it payable to you, you can just send me the $500,000 difference in cash.

(c;

Worth a try.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Bruce, thanks for your help, and the same to everyone in the thread. (c:

Thanks to your description of the connector, I found a relay that makes the engine run on, stutter then cut out when you remove it which is, I presume the fuel pump relay.

I edited my picture to highlight it:

The wires are obscured in the picture a bit - apologies - but hopefully that should help anyone in a similar predicament.

Best regards.

Reply to
Douglas Payne