conflicting ignition coil tests

1989 Mazda Lx 626, four cylinder, non-turbo. Dies at red lights and stop signs. You have to keep pumping accelerator to keep it running until you reach a faster speed then you can cruise down the hiway. I am checking the ignition coil at this stage of the game. Problem that I have encountered is Haynes' manual tests for the coil indicate if there is continuity in the coil primary then replace the coil. There is continuity so I told my wife I would have to replace the coil. But after checking Autozone's on -line information of "How to check ignition coil primary", Autozone says the ignition coil primary should run between 7 k to 9k Ohm's. This primary shows 10k+ on my digital meter and infinity on my analog tester.

Who is correct Hayne's or Autozone?

Reply to
ellis_jay

I also found problems with the Hayne's manual testing proceedures for coils. It didn't seem correct. I had the same problem as far as the engine dying below 1000rpm. I ended up changing the pickup coil module inside the distributor. That fixed the problem. Good Luck. Greg

Reply to
Greg Johansen

How did you discover it was the pick up inside the distributor? It looks like a breeze to pull and disassenble the distributor. No pins to punch 0ut like in a Tempo and gear to machine press out/in. Is there a check with ohmmeter on the pick up and the module plugged into it?

I checked the Air Vane flap and it moves with ease. Gonna check the connector to it tomorrow. I have since found out that this model, although built in 89, was built late in the year and is considered the 1990 model. The tag on the door frame says 1989 and built in the 8th month. The title says 1990. The VIN matches dsh and frame. Carfax id's it as (VIN) 1990 also.

Thanx for the reply

Reply to
ellis_jay

I spoke to a few people at work and they said with the symptoms I had this module is suspect. I am not familar with any electrical checks that you can do on the pick up module. good luck. let me know. Greg

Reply to
Greg Johansen

Too busy to return to the project with all the rain lately and installing new gutters. I hope it is not the module. I will let ya know. Thanx.........

Reply to
ellis_jay