Seized compressor on 93 626 V6

OK, short version of story is that my wife was driving on the highway, with no A/C on, just vent open, when she said that white smoke started pouring out from under the hood. She pulls over and stops the engine. We have the car towed to my local mechanic. He says that we lost a belt that drives the compressor and that runs the alternator, and that the compressor seized. He says that to replace the belt and fix the compressor is $1300. Does this sound right?? If it does, we're ditching the car, if it doesn't then we might go elsewhere for repairs. Someone please reply ASAP.

Thanks

Reply to
Charles

With out knowing exactly what part of the compressor seized two thoughts. Both means that you have no A/C till you get a new compressor, but it would give you time to look for a good used one at least

1) get a shorter belt that just goes around the crank and the alt, skipping the A/C compressor all together, at this point it's just on there for looks. 2) if the clutch and clutch bearings are good, then just disconnect the electronics for the clutch so it's always in free-wheel mode.

~Brian

Reply to
<not

Reply to