Fuel Pump Seized on '93 YJ

Here's a new one (on me). Tonight, after filling up my tank with liquid gold at the ARCO, I turned the key, and the old 4.0L started to light, then gagged and died. When I tried to start it again, the fuel line felt like it was dry - no flow. I pushed it out from the gas pumps, and called the shop that normally services my YJ (yeah, the NHRA, NASCAR, and Baja 500 shop next door to my workplace in Torrance) on the cell, and Gil suggested that the electric fuel pump probably seized up, either due to some particulate getting into it, or because the pump gave up its ghost. The tank had two or three gallons of 89 octane gold before I filled it, so it didn't go dry. He suggested that I bang on the gas tank a few times, and then try and start it again. Since I have a 4 D cell Mag-Lite mounted on the side of my driver's seat, it seemed the most appropriate tool at hand (no BF hammer handy...). I gave the tank area four or five well placed raps on the skid plate (probably scuffed my flashlight), then tried to turn the engine over. It started right up. And drove all the way home back to the Disneyland area without a glitch. I stopped before getting home to vote (in my party, there was only one candidate, so I wrote in myself), and then jumped back in and it started up again just fine. Should I come to the conclusion that the pump had seized on some dirt, or should I replace the pump "just in case"? I don't like being stranded 30 miles from home, but what's the likelihood that I've got a BO pump? Any comments?

Regards,

Doug Gavilanes Garden Grove, CA.

Reply to
Doug Gavilanes

L.W.(ßill)

Having had a fuel pump sieze on me, I would not be betting on the pump freeing itself and them continuing to work right. The vanes in those are made of a fairly brittle and unforgiving material - when the go, they really go. Likewise, when they sieze up, they stay stuck. And just banging on the skid plate ain't gonna even tickle the pump unless it's hit with enough oomph to dent the skid plate. What WILL respond to your puny little rap is a bad electrical connection - that would be my first point of attack. BTW, if it was siezed and your bump performed a miracle and freed it, look to be walking shortly - those pumps won't take much abuse by particles big enough to jam them and live long at all.

Reply to
Will Honea

I will second that!

I would be cleaning up the power and especially the ground wires.

Mike

Mike Romain

I third that. I bought a 91 YJ a year ago and have had many starting problems. Some were no spark, but for the past 8 months its been a fuel problem. I had my pump replaced and the problem still exists. My problem and maybe yours is a loose wire (ground)? by the emergecny break handle. When your rig starts put your e brake on and off. You may hear your fuel pump stop when you do this causing your rig to stall. If so you will need to find the wire buy you e-brake thats causing this. I haven't found the specfic wire yet but I do know I can always get her started now.

I need a day to play around and f> >

Reply to
Ufatbasted

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I have never heard the fuel pump running in my Cherokee. Am I supposed to or is that rare. I have heard one in the gas tank of a Ford E-350 a while back.

Reply to
Bill Vajk

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

They all make a whirring noise. If you listen closely, you'll hear it.

Chris

Reply to
Christian Fry

Most likely the pump is ready to die. Check the connector, and if you don't see anything obvious, it's probably the pump. Very common for them to die like this.

Reply to
bllsht

Right above the "E" brake release handle is the bolt that holds the brake assy to the dash panel. In '91 they attached the ground wire to that bolt on the back side with a nut. Most likely that nut is loose and so is the ground wire. That ground was relocated in '92 I believe. For sure it was by '93.

Reply to
bllsht

The seatbelt buzzer masks it. He'll have to buckle his seatbelt before he turns the key.

I hear my `89 Cherokee's fuel pump every time I start it.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

When I got my rig with the radio off and no buzzer sound I would hear the pump prime when I turned the ignition. Since I had the pump replaced I hear it prime when the ignition on, but it also hums along as I drive. I have read that some aftermarket pumps are louder than stock and this is the norm. Have had the new pump in for 2 months now. Time will tell

Reply to
Ufatbasted

"liquid gold" good line. It's amazing how much gas prices have increased. I wonder if we'll really see the 3.00$ a gallon deal here in SoCal.

Wblane