123 Sunroof leak 300D

I believe that I have a sunroof leak. I found the two front gutters. For anyone else with this problem, the front drains are in the front corners and can be seen when the sunroof is open. These gutters drain out the body near the top front door hinges. If these gutters are clogged a standers dry cleaner hanger is the right size and length to clean them out. Avoid the painted hangers, the pant peals and defeats the purpose a little. An unwound and straightened hanger should be just long enough. If you have the door open you should be able to see the hanger exit the gutter tube. The front gutter exits are behind the door and not accessible. I am writing to the group to ask if there are rear gutters and if anyone knows where they drain. It seems that there must be rear gutters. Where would the water go when the car is parked on an incline? Any help would be appreciated. thanks, bryan

Reply to
Bryanp

There are rear shunts. Since i have a TD I do not know where they drain to. I ended up removing the whole headliner which made everything a lot easier to work on. So, if you unhook the rear hose that run the water out, you can get a wire into it to clear it.

Reply to
PT in OR

Thank you for the reply. It is god to know that there are rear shunts. I would like to avoid removing the headliner. Does any one know where the rear shunts for the sunroof drain?

thanks, bryan

PT > > I believe that I have a sunroof leak. I found the two front gutters.

Reply to
Bryanp

I agree that removing the headliner is an uber bitch--and is nothing compared to putting it back in. Now YMMV, but when i found my pan had turned to flakes, the only way to get the tubes cleared was to push the crud downward. I'm pretty certain that it would have been pointless to try to clear them from below. These are big words from someone who had to remove the headliner anyway, so for me it was a snap. I'd say in your situation where you have no reason to remove the headliner, starting from the bottom would be the first thing to try. However, don't be surprised if you do have to go from the top. Then again, if you do, you can remove the actual sunroof and reach back into the back of the pan and do it that way.

Reply to
PT in OR

Thank you for your reply PT. Is there anyone who has advise on removing the sunroof to clean the rear gutters? Are there any pitfalls to avoid? It woud be very bad if I could not get it back together.

thanks,

bryan

PT > > Thank you for the reply. It is god to know that there are rear shunts.

Reply to
Bryanp

Don't sweat it. It only looks hard, it's so stupid easy you'll go "huh, that's it" when you're done 5 minutes later.

The sunroof panel just pulls off by pulling straight down, hard and there's one pin that connects the cable to the roof. It all just comes out after that and it stupid easy to put back together.

Changing spark (or glo) plugs is MUCH more complicated - it's that easy.

Keep in mind though the ONLY grease you can use is the proper MB sunroof grease. Absolutely nothing else works properly. You can get a small film cannisters worth of the stuff for a couple of bucks from the link below, MB sells it in 1 lb tubs which would last a 20 car owner several lifetimes.

Reply to
Richard Sexton