300D Sunroof

What would cause a sunroof to not open. I can hear the motor when I press the switch, but no roof movement. This was working, albeit slowly and hesitantly just a few weeks ago.

Reply to
randallbrink

Mine did this right after I bought it. Only it got stuck open! It would eventually close, but very slowly. My solution was WD-40. I sprayed a little on each rail (the silver ones I think) and opened and closed it a few times. No more sticking. I imagine you could use lithium grease or some other intended lubricant, but WD-40 was all I had on hand at the time. As far as getting it open to lubricate it, I don't know. You may have to remove the headliner to get to the guts of it.

Reply to
DougS

Just so you know, the motor is in the trunk. It is on the drivers side outboard of the hinges. It is at the mounted near the top. It is cylindrical and has a metal tube coming out of it. Don't mistake it for the power antenna unit, which is a black rectangular box.

I'm not saying that the motor is suspect, but it is something to check that is easier to access since it doesn't require removing the headliner. Make sure the plug is on tight and is corrosion free.

If it fails in the open position, there is a manual mechanism on that drive unit. It takes forever to operate, but it will keep the rain out after a few minutes of work.

Reply to
weelliott

look:

hope it helps

Reply to
Dr_Chino

I forgot about that manual unit, and the location of the motor as well, for that matter.

Many thanks!

Reply to
randallbrink

look:

This is very helpful. Thanks!

Reply to
randallbrink

This is why a diesel car tool kit comes with a spark plug socket!

Reply to
Karl

That's good. I can manually open the roof, lubricate the tracks, and troubleshoot the motor, which I believe is working.

Reply to
randallbrink