1980 450 SL Air Cleaner Hose Question...

Greetings all,
I have a 1980 450 SL. It is a Gray market unit. Its VIN is WDB10704412 061598.
I located a hose that connects to the air cleaner from the Right Side Valve
Cover. This hose is clamped to the Valve Cover, but is a slip fit to a tube on the bottom of the air cleaner. On this hose is a small branch line. On mine there is a small piece of tubing that comes off of this branch. But it appears to be cut or broken. I have searched for the other end, but no luck. Does anyone have any idea where this goes?
http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/B201015431MEY.JPG is a picture of this hose.
Thanks, Bill
1980 450 SL 1984 300D Turbo

branch line connection. I would just plug it shut.
This is the answer to the question. Thanks to Bjorn, I now have the answer...and the reason that it was engineered this way...
Bill
Subject: Re: [SL] 1980 450 SL Air cleaner Hose Question...
Bill, This is the socalled leak-line. It has no operational functions. Its purpose is to take care of leaking fuel in case the pressure damper (not regulator) developes a leak past its internal diagframe. Same thing goes for the warm up regulator which on my car (110 engine) is connected to the same line. So MB (or Bosch) is anticipating that at some point in time there may be a leak, and prepare for it by passing it on to the air intake. The fuel accumulator has a similar system where leaks are passed on to the fuel pump.
Bjorn Bergum Oslo Norway 1982 280SL 1978 230C 2001 smart ===========================================================================