Air cleaner question (Omix Carb)

My 1989 Wrangler has what appears to be an Omix carb on it (little rectangular air breather).

The local inspection station (upstate New York) told me that he would not pass it for inspection without the stock air cleaner with a "tac door" or some such. Even though I do not have to pass the emissions test in this part of the state, he says that it has to at least be on the vehicle.

I have looked into getting a stock air cleaner but it will not fit on this carb so I am feeling stuck. Anyone know a way to satisfy this requirement with this carb?

Bill

Reply to
BSartist

You need to have a hot air source for the winter or just plain cold starts so the carb doesn't ice up and so it warms up faster using less time on choke.

This means you need a heat stove on the exhaust manifold with a heat pipe up to the air filter TAC opening. The heat stove is just bent sheet metal with a round hole for the pipe that can even be hose clamped onto the exhaust. Mine has brads holding it to the manifold I think. Push pins of some sort.

I have seen folks just cut tin and make a square hole fit a round one for the stock filter. Some carb makers even sell adapter plates.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > My 1989 Wrangler has what appears to be an Omix carb on it (little
Reply to
Mike Romain

"Tac door"? That would be the vacuum gizmo that switches between the cold and warm air intake. That's really picky, wanting that hooked up.

We have an honor system here in Colorado. I have seen obvious off road only rigs with open wheels, no turn signals and such with street plates.

Cheers,

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

Unfortunately there is no TAC opening at all. Just a rectangular cube like air filter.

Reply to
BSartist

Right, so I personally would use the base plate of this air filter and just use the center bolt you hopefully have that held the air filter on to hold the snout of the stock air filter onto it. Bingo, an instant adapter. Maybe have to add some threaded rod to the center post to fit, shorter or longer. Mine is a wire loop with a bolt off the top of it.

The cover's center bolts onto the valve cover, again a chunk of threaded rod on a plate with two nuts holding it with two holes in the plate for the screws to the valve cover is how mine is on. Easy parts to find at a scrap yard or Jeep shop usually or easy to make.

Does your exhaust manifold still have the heat stove on it?

You know it 'Really Really' isn't any fun to have a carb turn into a block of ice at 50 mph in a snow storm... Really Really no fun.... Been there on a slant 6....

That TAC is more of a safety thing than anything else.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

** Posted from
**
Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Actually, it looks like this:

I don't have any original parts. I bought the Jeep used and this is how it came.

I don't really do alot of driving with this thing. It's primary use is as a plow vehicle for my 1700 ft. driveway. But I do like to buzz around town with it during the nice weather.

Reply to
BSartist

like:

> If so, make it fit! Search the bone yards until you find the stock intake>> tube, air filter box, with hot air tube from exhaust pipe. Partsview:
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O>> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

OK, that is that weber clone by the looks of it, seeing as they do not give out the model number at JCW. It is likely what they call a '36' made by Solex.

That aside, if they made it work, it saves you a lot of headaches with re-jetting, etc... From what I have read, there isn't the slightest hope of that carb passing the tailpipe sniffer for emissions, so you are lucky to only need a semi-visual.

I am thinking someone should make a chunk of tin to adapt a 'Weber' carb for a Carter BBD air filter seeing as it is a very common swap. I would search for that conversion and maybe come up with what folks have hacked together?

Other than that, it is likely make your own time.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

If the inspection shops in upstate NY are anything like they used to be in western Mass. you could cut the entire bottom out of the Carter BBD air filter or anything vaguely similar and set it on top of the Weber clone, air cleaner and all.

;^)

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

** Posted from
**
Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

"Mike Romain" wrote The heat stove is just bent sheet metal with a round hole for the pipe that can even be hose clamped onto the exhaust. Mine has brads holding it to the manifold I think. Push pins of some sort.

I have seen folks just cut tin and make a square hole fit a round one for the stock filter. Some carb makers even sell adapter plates.

Mike

I had an old CJ that had something like that. The previous owner used some aluminum coated, paper looking hose. It looked like dryer vent hose only smaller but had the spiral wire running through it. I believe it was commonly used on older vehicles for this exact purpose. It was held on with clamps.

AH HA! I googled it: \

Kate

Reply to
Kate