1988 260E Fuel Pump Relay?

I think I have the classic fuel pump relay symptoms...car has 180k on it...no trouble at all over the years. Friday, after initial start, goes along fine. About a mile into my commute, it stalls. Re-starts and
runs fine remainder of the day. Sat morning, same deal...stalls after a bit, but this time took a little more effort to start. Would fire up but immediately die. Took about 10 or so tries to get it going, then moves along fine. Fast forward to this morning...starts, goes about a mile, stalls, but this time can't re-start. Turns over fine, just won't catch. Is my unprofessional diagnosis correct? I figure the relay is cheaper than a fuel pump and something I can do myself. The local places don't have the relay (one can order it in for tomorrow) so I have a few hours for you experts to make me look like a fool. Am I going the correct route? Thanks!
Maybe throw your fuel filter into the equation.If your fuel filter is clogged,then as you drive the sediment in it will stir up and block the flow of fuel then cause it to die!As it sits for a few moments the sediment settles back down and allows you to restart.
IMHO you've diagnosed it correctly. The age and symptoms both point to the fuel pump relay.
Fuel filter would show itself upon high fuel demand: long hill climb and longer acceleration. You cite neither of these.
Respectfully,it shows the the same characteristics of a clogged fuel filter! Don't need to rally the car for the fuel filter to block up the flow of fuel.A car with a bad fuel filter will start right up in the morning and then stall right down the road a couple of miles then restart after a few minutes!