1986 300E 140k km - road bumps and suspension

Hi,

Have had this for about 2 weeks. Just trying to get a feel for whether the supension need attention. Here in Edmonton Alberta the roads have expansion gaps which get filled with tar and grit each spring. The result is and extermely annoying bump every few secods.

Now my 2000 Dodge Caravan absorbs these relatively smoothly. The Merc however transmits the bump. Is this owing to a stiffer suspension or is there wear somewhere in the suspension system. If the latter what needs servicing/replacing.

Many thanks SR

Reply to
SR

The suspension is firm and does transmit tar strips and such but is better on larger dips than domestic cars, IMHO.

Correct tire pressure is important, as are the correct size tires. Suggest OEM not be exceeded by more than one (width) size, i.e. if OEM is 195/70 then 205/70 be the reasonable oversize limit. Some will disagree but this question regarded ride and noise, not extreme handling.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I would say MB suspension is definitely firmer... but the tires make such a tremendous difference on the ride quality. I find Bridgestone or Avon to be on the softer side with excellent traction performance.

I do not recommend oversizing your tire at all. Just check the air pressure... set it to factory spec.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks for the replies. Glad nothings wrong but a bit disappointed that it cannot be improved.

Reply to
SR