1991 190 E 2.3 - low on gas = hesitation

I have a great '91 190 E - just had a head gasket put in, 89K- beautiful shape.
When the gas gets to about 1/4 full, it starts hestitating after stopping-
then gets worse as it gets lower on gas until it stalls out at every stop.
I have had a certified Mercedes mechanic go through every possible cause, including draning the gas tank and cleaning the screen- but no residue was found.
I have had advice from another- drive low on gas with the gas cap off, use some injector cleaner additive, adjust some part that determines gas pressure at altitude (?) and make mix richer- to "don't drive with 1/4 tank of gas!"
Next step is new gas distributor?
Advice?
Thanks....
I suggest you consider the evaporative control system as a suspect. Your troubles increase as the air volume in the tank increases.
--

2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.