1996 c280: no intermittent wiper, no wiper park

During our recent spate of icy weather my wife tried to start the wiper when the wiper arm was frozen in place. After that the intermittent wiper stopped working and the wiper would not park.
Another older symptom: periodically the wiper would stroke once upon activating the turn signal.
A search of this group yielded some ideas for a fix: loose wires behind the panel above the driver's feet; bad wiper relay; bad fuse. I saw no loose wires, replaced the fuse, and cleaned the relay contacts but the problem persists.
Ideas for a next step? A guy at the auto parts place suggested tightening a 15mm and a 13 mm bolt/screw somewhere on the wiper itself; I took the wiper covers off and saw torx heads holding that operating together but no screws or bolts. Is this worth pursuing?
Same guy at the auto parts place said "it may be the wiper motor".
Is this likely to be the stalk switch (given the earlier symptom of wiping upon turn signal), or the motor (since the intermittent stopped working when the blade was frozen in place)?
Thanks- Dave O
Go to the bottom of this thread past the chatter about lubricating which you already know. It talks about the tightening of the bolts.
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid109&perpage &pagenumber=4&sab2c56e78268ce9813cf4a5db8966c
If that doesn't work and you have to start replacing stuff, make sure you get a good return/exchange policy on the parts. I am guessing it may be the gears vs. the actual motor itself.
Doug
Doug, thanks for that link! The photos are great. That last post about tightening up the bolts may be right on target: I'll try that tonight. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.