600 and a spanner on my trip meter?

rh drive 1999 c200 petrol automatic. When I turn the key to the 1st position the trip meter changes to display a spanner and "600" for maybe 20 seconds. I've had the car for 4 months, it's just done 78,000
miles and seems to run ok. Does anybody know what this means? Thanks.

You have roughly 600 miles between now and your next service. It is in the manual under FSS, I believe.
Thanks. I have an owners manual but it doesn't have anything like this in it. In fact it has very little in it! I got it seperately from the car and it's got a grey cover ( "202 englisch") but doesn't have any information about maintenance or service intervals. Should I have another Mercedes booklet?

I would say so based on your description of it. The FSS (Flexible Service System) is an important thing to understand, especially as it relates to oil type, the way you drive and change intervals. (e.g the FSS system cannot detect the difference between synthetic and dino oil, so if you use dino oil the FSS is useless)
I believe you can find it at a Mercedes dealership or online at Mercedes.com http://www.mercedesmanuals.com/?gclid=CKeShPXIgJMCFQKhlgodgXLRHQ .
or possibly on eBay.