Ford Focus Trip Meter to display diagnostics

Anbody know anything about the facility to display readings on the mileage trip meter. It appears that if you hold the trip rest button in and turn the ignition on the you can then by pressing the trip button cycle through various diagnostic readings from the ECU ? It initially appears to test the instrument panel (end stops all the dial gauges and then tests the display panel indicators) Then if you keep pressing it to select a particualar reading and start the car that reading will perm display unitil the ignition is turned off/on again...ie I wonder if it displays the various ECU sensor values ? Could be useful ? I wonder if this facility works on other make/models one wonders ?

Reply to
billybob

It exists on the MK3 Mondeo to some extent.

Reply to
Conor

It only displays dashboard data and problems. You would still need to read OBD codes to carry out any meaningful diagnostic tests.

It does on some other Fords.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

billybob brought next idea :

I would only expect it to display data which could be expected to be available at the dash anyway - battery volts, coolant temperature, revs, speed pulse and etc..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It does on the Mondeo's. However all it will show you is the DTC codes relating to the instrument binnacle it wont show you engine codes etc.

One very useful thing on there however is a digital voltmenter (look for the reading that says something like b12.4). Lets you see the voltage under cranking so you can see how saggy the battery is getting and the recovery time.

Reply to
Chris Street