'86 560SL- 3 or 4 speed auto transmission?

The owners manual says that with the shift lever in 3, the transmission will not shift up to 4th. But for the life of me, I can feel only a first, second
and third shift when in D, and a first and second shift in 3. In high gear, whatever it is, at 2000 rpm, the speed is 55-56 mph. Is this normal?
1st on demand. At 5 mph in D, tromp on the gas pedal, it should go into 1st. Also, when you manually shift down the 2nd on the shifter, move the shifter sideways..... that will give you 1st, I believe it is marked B for brake.