89 Caravan Rebuild: 3- or 4-speed tranny?

Hi, gang:

I'm rebuilding my 89 Grand Caravan (don't laugh! I love the thing, and the old-timer I bought it from 4 years ago paid almost $2000 to rustproof the chassis -- a huge advantage here in salt-the-roads Minnesota). Besides, I have a second 89 Caravan for parts :)

Anyway, the chassis and running gear are in excellent shape, but the engine and the second 4-speed tranny are coming close to the

200,000-mile mark. It runs okay, but it's been sounding like crap for more than a year. (It drives very nicely, however, with smooth suspension, tight steering and all possible options. It's a power marshmallow!)

I can have the engine and tranny rebuilt for about $2000, and I can handle the paint and minor body work myself. With what new (or newer) vehicles cost these days, I just don't wanna invest...

My question is about the tranny. I have two 4-speed overdrives which, according to anecdotal and personal evidence, are fairly unreliable. And I have one 3-speed tranny from an 89 Plymouth Voyager.

Will the three-speed fit?

Should it be more reliable than the 4-speeds? (Especially when pulling my fishing boat or pop-up camper trailer?)

Do I need to change the front axles or anything else to make it fit?

Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance,

--Kirk in Minnesota

Reply to