87 300E Stuck in second gear

Hi all, I just picked up a 1987 300E with 187k on it. Runs great, except the trans doesn't seem to want to shift into third. Reverse works fine, and I can drive in second, but that's it. Won't go into third whether it's in D or 3... Fluid is clean/proper level... is there a vacuum connection(s) to check? I bought it knowing it had this problem, but would like to eliminate the possibility of an easy (cheap) fix..... Thanks, great board here!

Reply to
GotTheBends

May want to check the kickdown switch (under the gas pedal). If it is stuck closed the car may not upshift. Happened in my SD. Good Luck ! Todd

Reply to
toddx

Darn! I was hoping that was it.. no luck..is there a tranny primer somewhere? I'd like to read up on them..

Reply to
GotTheBends

even the least little bit of dirt, lint ETC will mess up an MB Tranny.

my owners man says to use a leather wipe to check the dip stick it may pay to change the filter and all the fluid.

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Use your imagination.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

What's a "leather wipe"?

Reply to
Orc General

your belt

lint it one of the larfest killers of the trannys. rags paper towels ETC

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man