Re: where is chassis number located 1987 300E?

On my 1980 300SD it's the first 3 digitis of the VIN#, 116

Reply to
trader4

Forgot to add, the VIN# tag is located near the bottom of the drivers side windshield, visible from outside looking in.

Reply to
trader4

Hi

I am confused, I am looking for my chassis number not the vin number...

my vin starts with WDBEA30D0HA

the chassis number looks something like

124 1B 501718 1B ..............

Forgot to add, the VIN# tag is located near the bottom of the drivers side windshield, visible from outside looking in.

Reply to
Tube Audio

Don't your vehicle registration documents show that number?

I don't think on older cars it was on the windscreen, was it? I don't remember that on my 1986 W124.

If noone here comes up with the right answer phone a dealer.

Season's Greetings. DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I think I misunderstood what he's actually looking for. It thought he wanted the chassis series number, eg 116, 123, etc. I think what he actually wants is the serial number of the chassis, which is sometimes needed to indentify what part to order, depending on where that car was in the production run.

In the case of my 1980 300SD I believe that number is the last 6 digits of the VIN. It's also contained on a metal stamp, drivers side, lower corner pillar, visible through the windshield, looking in. It's also stamped on the meral cross piece by the radiator.

The suggestion of a visit or call to a dealer is probably the best way to get it right.

.
Reply to
trader4

The chassis number begins with WDBxyz (or similar, maybe depending on region) where xyx = body type, as you mentioned.

So, my 2001 CLK Cab, the first in this range starts WDB208. The next model was/is WDB209.

The engine number is all-digit.

Based on the numbers allocated to my car I am confused by the OP's references

QUOTE my vin starts with WDBEA30D0HA

the chassis number looks something like

124 1B 501718 1B .............. UNQUOTE

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

It's better to use the same designation as Mercedes uses: VIN number and model designation. VIN number: WDB..., model designation:

124030... etc, to avoid confusion. The VIN is a unique number, the model designation is shared by vehicles that has exactly the same model.

Best regards,

Mobi

Reply to
mobi

Yes, a VIN is unique but my VIN startes with WDB208. I did not make this up, Merc did.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Plus, once again, I beleive the OP is looking for the chassis SERIAL NUMBER, not the model designation. Sometimes when ordering parts, the serial number is needed. As in use part 123456 for chassis earlier than chassis #232323, and part 98765 for later chassis.

Reply to
trader4

I think you'll find that parts have numbers printed on them and they contain the model number at the beginning.

I have mentioned the two identifying numbers on my car. What third number do you have in mind?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling