89 560 SL clunk

I have a suspension clunk in the front left side when turning left or right. If I zig zag down the road I can make it go clunk, clunk clunk with each turn of the wheel. What should I look for? Thanks for your
input.

Tie rods, idler arm or balljoints can do this. One thing I'd check too though is the suspension bearing. Can you move either of the front wheels forward and backward a little bit?
Have had tie rods and idler checked, will have a look at the ball joints, but this one only has 45K on it. Will check for play in the wheels. Should that be checked with the wheels hanging free or supported under the spring pan? Richard Sexton wrote:

Either way. Easiest it to, with the car in park, have somebody push it hard from the front. If you see any back and forward movement in the wheel it's rebuild time. If you're unsure after this lie down on the ground next to the wheel and have somebody, witht he car in gear, release and apply the brake a few times. You'll be able to see the wheel go back and forth whe it shouldnt.
A new part is $450, but there's a $100 rebuilt kit to replace just the worn part if this is indeed the problem. Replace the track rod mounts while it's apart, too.
I am betting upper ball joint. Grab the ball joint by the rubber sleeve... and push car up and down. Do you feel the play?
If not this then I believe it is the track rod bushing... it is the diagonal bar that goes from lower control arm to your frame... that bushing at the frame is bad. You can test this by using a long rod and manipulate the rod up and down and you should hear or feel the clunk. Change both side because the other one will fail.