'91 190E Manual gear selection problem...

hey there....I have a '91 model 1800cc 190E with 5 speed manual transmission. Having a little bit of difficulty selecting 2nd gear (usually but not only when down changing) Pulling the lever back, I feel a lot of resistance and if/when it does go into gear, it only does so with a hefty clunk. Mileage on the car is fairly low (96k) so I'm not expecting any gearbox wear....thinking it may be a selector lever / cable. Anyone able to confirm?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

'00 Harley XL1200S '97 Kawasaki ER-5 '91 Mercedes W201

Reply to
MisterD

U¿ytkownik "MisterD" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news:csu6mp$mif$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com...

My father has a W124 230CE and hi had a similar problem in his 5-speed manual geerbox. I appeared that the problem were (I am not super how to call the part in english) syncronaising parts (in his transmission on 2nd and 3rd gear). The repairing of that was not expensive it costed him using oryginal parts less than 1000pln (about 250-300euro). Maybe that You have the same problem! :-) Greetings Kamil

Reply to
Kamil Broniowski

It's OK...the problem has made itself clear - knackered clutch! Clutch pedal became stuck and would not release. Managed to free it by hand and limped home, with the clutch making some very odd noises! Guess that'll be a couple hundred pounds to fix!

Thanks anyway guys,