Audi A3 1.8T Gear Selection Problem

A friend has the above car and on returning to an airport car park after a short break found the gear selections were haywire. He can select 3rd, 4th and 5th but not 1st, 2nd and Reverse. Also, when selecting reverse the car attempts to move FORWARD in what seems like a high gear. The clutch seems to be operating normally. What could be wrong after just leaving it parked for a few days? Have the selector rods become misaligned in some way? Many thanks for any responses.

Reply to
Sunday Driver

I had the same problem exactly with my A4, I had the quattro version so the gearbox was directly under the gearstick, I would imagine your friends is different, but it is a selector problem, I had to have the box out and at the same time I had a gear replaced and a new clutch, as your friends engine is mounted differently (fwd) it should be an easier job.

Reply to
Ronny

Probably one of the gearchange cables or part of the linkage has fallen off.

Reply to
Chris Bartram