'97 E320 / Mass Air Meter: Can it be cleaned??

My car has done 37,825 miles; its check engine DTC P0170 diagnosis is that its Air Mass Meter is causing a Fuel Trim Malfunction reading.
Given its low mileage, I suspect its "hot wire" has a bit of dirt on it.
I've read that some ES300 Lexus owners in England have very very carefully cleaned the "hot wire" of their cars' meter and so save the replacement cost.
Anyone successfully done that to his M-B?
Tom
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:55:49 -0700, "T.G. Lambach"

You can clean them with brake cleaner, sometimes, but it's really only a short term cure.
Doesn't the platinum wire have a burn off cycle when the engine is shut down to clean the insulating jacket?
CaptainW116 wrote:

Yes, but I think a 97 M104 should have Hot Film Meter (HFM; http://www.pvv.org/~syljua/merc/sensors_airmass.pdf ) instead of wire (but can be cleaned the same way I suppose?)
br, syljua W140 S320 1998
Most of the year I'd be saying "br" or even "bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" if I were living in Oslo...
:-) DAS
"yvind Syljusen" < snipped-for-privacy@unknown.com> wrote in message
news:d8u8a4$fpk$ snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain...