After market parts blues for my MB

I just went through a run around by buying a Napa Auto parts radiator cap and thermostat for my E420 94. The after market radiator cap (overflow reservoir cap) didn't have the factory center vent/check
valve, caused over heating and cost $24 versus MB dealer $15. The new thermostat from Napa ($45) barely opened at 80c (1/16" to 1/8") versus MB thermostat that opened to a 3/4" to 7/8" after testing both in heated water in a pan on a stove. Just beware of the after market parts blues... I wonder how many MBs were sold because somebody didn't find out that the after market parts were the culprit to over heating....
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:56:59 -0800 (PST), Derf-E420-94

Sounds like you gave yourself the runaround, hahaha.
The time to compare prices is BEFORE you buy.
I have stuff done on my 1993 190E at a Merc garage, rather than at a local independent, who I have also used. (Here in London.)
Latter isn't always cheaper, and probably isn't better. Maybe I should seek another local garage...
DAS
"Happy Trails" < snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Best price doesn't guarantee a good part... If you buy the cheapest you might get the run around...
Derf-E420-94 ha scritto:

to register valves on my '82 MB 207D you need a very specific (and special) tool, in order to move registration screw. And a well trained mech is able to look exactly where potential problems are expected to be. A generic repair shop might not be as fast and efficient as an official repair shop: you spend less euro/h but it takes more hours... quite often it's simply not convenient, in my experience. It's even more important with less 'historical' vehicles than mine, with electronic a go-go... :-) Sometimes they don't tell you, but while they change oil, install a new 'firmware' to prevent future problems...