Alternator Adjustments

Okay, when driving my 1976 300D back from Chicago to Columbus, there was a noticeable drop in electrical power. The belt needs more tension as it is floppy. The bolt on the front alternator bracket
looks like it has a gear built onto it. Any tips or hints (other than "be careful") about loosening this 'gear bolt' ? Thanks!!
Loosen BOTH bolts on the alternator's pivot side before adjusting the tension bolt (I find that's easier from below).
permission.