valve adjustments

I have 2007 corolla ,dose valves need adjustments at certain intervals,I had a Honda accord the valves needed valve clearance checks at certain maintenance intervals.Is Toyota the same way?

Reply to
tony pac

your wife needs a valve adjustment

Reply to
Go Mavz

If it needs valve adjustments, it will be in your owner's manual or the manual that shows the needed regular maintainence. .

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"tony pac" wrote in news:469fcd2c$0$4701$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Toyota probably specifies checks at something like 100,000 mile intervals. Check the maintenance schedule in the handy Owner's Manual that came with your shiny new car.

Honda and Toyota use different types of valve lifting mechanisms. Toyota's adjustments will last many years without attention, provided you change your oil according the maintenance schedule for that which is also in the Owner's Manual that came with your shiny new car.

Reply to
Tegger

According to the maintenance schedule on Toyota's web site, you should have valve clearance inspected every 60,000 miles and adjust if necessary.

Reply to
Ray O

I forgot the details in the manual, but there is really nothing to adjust. Or at least in the old sense of adjusting lash, rocker nuts, etc.. I forgot which exact parts are involved, but in order to adjust the valves you have to actually change the parts out with ones of a slightly different size.. IE: kind of in the same sense of changing pushrod length to adjust valve lash on some older ford engines. Adjusting the valves looked to be quite an ordeal on the 1.8L engine. It seems you just can't pop a valve cover off and adjust them as most older cars. I'd have to go back and reread the details on what parts were involved. Kinda of a bummer, as I've always been one to adjust my valves when they needed it.. Doesn't really look too easy on the corolla. Almost a service I'd rather let the dealer handle.. :( And it's not often I say that... :/ But I'd be afraid of making a wrong measurement or something, and have one be off, and have to tear it apart again. They have better tools for that type of thing.. Course, I may be mistaken, but from what I saw in my quick glance at that section didn't look too inviting for the average shadetree used to adjusting a few rocker nuts or whatever.. A little more involved than that. :( I'd double check the manual right now, but I've misplaced the CD at the moment.. I'll dig it out later once I find it. MK

Reply to
nm5k

The Corolla probably uses a bucket and shim system for adjusting valve lash. This system is very durable if the owner changes oil according to the factory maintenance schedule.

The thing that makes adjusting valve lash with a shim system a pain is that you need an assortment of shims so that you can make up the correct thickness. If you do not already have one, you would also need a micrometer and a valve spring compressor.

Reply to
Ray O

Do you have any idea why Toyota specifies a 60,000 mile adjustment interval for that mechanism, while Nissan specifies none? Two Nissan dealers refused to take money and do an out-of-warranty valve adjustment on my 4-cyl. DOHC with 75,000 miles (they were right that it was unnecessary).

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Toyota does not specify a 60,000 miles adjustment interval. Toyota specifies a 60,000 miles inspection interval, which is a lot easier than adjusting them.

Personally, I go by "ear" and don't bother checking with a gauge.

Reply to
Ray O