Are special tools needed to remove head from 1987 300SDL

My mechanic agreed to work on my 87 300 SDL that has been sitting for a year because of a problem with either the head or head gasket. He has always been honest and done a great job with his repair work, but has not worked on a Mercedes Diesel before. Can he make do with his "regular" tools or must he use "specialized" MB tools. Thanks

Reply to
glenflow55

regular will do.

Reply to
Niels Ulrik

The only specalized tool he will need is the socket for the head bolts. The head bolts have an in - hex star pattern. The socket has a Mercedes part number. All the other tools that he will need are "regular" tools. Just make sure he has an angle torque meter in addition to a torque wrench to accurately tighten the head bolts. You can do it without the angle meter but it's nice to be accurate.

Reply to
VCopelan

right, I got those for my gasket change. A set was aprox 25 usd

Reply to
Niels Ulrik