A/C compressor clutch-Special tools needed?

I have a former 1990 former U-Haul truck with the 7.3 diesel. And (Yes new relay) I think I have a bad compressor clutch. Coincidentally, I just happen to have one here in a box that is brand new. However, being the novice I am, and knowing that nothing is ever as easy to do as you think it's going to be, I figured I should post first - because I have questions.

The first one is: Are there any special tools needed to do this? (Yep, I may be a novice; but I knows about them "special tools." LOL!

Second question: Can I accomplish this task without removing the compressor? Depending on the special tools, there may be room to do this.

And I figure I don't know anything, so if you have advice I'll take it.

Thank you.

Reply to
dumbneasy

First why do you think the clutch is bad? Second is it factiory air or dealer installed? depending on where the compresor is mouted and is it a van chassis or pick up chassis you may be able to do it in place. The refrigerant needs to be evacuated. Yes there are special tools needed, like a clutch puller to get the face plate off, and an installer to get the new one on. Inside and outside snap ring pliers, feeler gauges to measure the air gap. Sometimes all that needs to be done is the face plate removed and a shim removed to correct the air gap.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning