Special tool for '94 Tercel Head bolts?

Hi,

I'm trying to fix a bad valve on my '94 Tercel. I've got everything all disconnected to pull the head out except for the head bolts themselves, which have me stymied. The bolts are innies (i.e. you have to stick something in them to turn them), but they're not hex - they have recesses for 12 points instead of six. An old post to this group mentioned that you could use a 10mm triple square bit, so I went out and got one (after stripping one of the bolts using an 8mm hex key), but the bit I bought (Lisle part #60750, "12 Point, Triple Square" Metric Internal Wrench Bit Set) does not fit - the 8mm is too small, and the 10mm is too big (although it looks like it ALMOST fits). I don't want to try to force it, as I'm already faced with drilling and easy-outing the first one I stripped.

Does anyone know whether there's a special tool made for these bolts, and, if so, who makes it and what the part number is, so I can order it? My Toyota dealership has NOT been very helpful on this matter - their suggestion was that I basically hang out outside a garage and wait for the Snap-On truck to show up :-).

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Aue

Try a Torx bit.

Reply to
Ray O

Late model Tercel 8mm head bolt 'specialty tool'?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Also here:

Travis Jordan