Bad Gas problem C280

I have a 1999 C280 which has been affected by the bad gas (high sulfur) distributed last month. The dealer tells me that they have to replace the instrument cluster when they replace the fuel gauge sender in order for the
fuel gauge to work with the new senders. Is this correct? The cluster cost about $1,000.00 and the gas company (Chevron) says it will only pay to replace the senders not the cluster.
Thanks,
Sound like your dealer is a complete idiot. Just change the fuel sender in the gas tank.