Bad gas..

ok, I posted here a long time ago (under just "dan") and Ive finally been able to do something to my truck. I also realize this is probably a stupid question, and there's a FAQ somewheres..but anyway

Mine was the 67 Chevy 1/2 ton, with a 250 in it (which my mechanic said was dead, etc)..

so I rebuild the carb today (it needed it), and for the first time the thing starts on the first turn of the key. However, it runs a little rough (Im sure I have something not right with the minor adjustments in the carb) and smokes (white) worse.

Now, I should mention that the gas has been in there for a long time and I know thats not really the greatest thing to do to a carb you just rebuilt..so, my question is, could the bad gas be A cause of engine smoking really bad?

I know there's a ton of other things that could be wrong too, but I'm just trying to eliminate an easy one.

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

White smoke out the tailpipe means one thing: coolant is burning. Either a cracked head gasket, cracked head or a cracked block.

Have you run a compression test on all six cylinders yet?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hmmmm ... sounds slightly familiar Dan. Check my recent thread on alt.autos.4x4.chevy-truck titled "Did I ruin my engine ???" I recommend you get rid of that gas as soon as possible.

Mike

Reply to
Mike McAuley

scribbled:

I did it back when my mechanic said it had no compression, and they each had compression within 5 of what is "required". saying it's white smoke was kind of miss-leading on my part. It's more grey and blackish than white like what I implied. sorry about the confusion

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

Mike McAuley scribbled:

thanks, I checked it, and I'm hoping thats what the problem is. As usual, I didn't include a little caveat in my previous post.

when I took out the bad gas before (it was probably 12 month old gas then) it made a HUGE difference in the smoke amount.

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

Blazer Fan Dan scribbled:

just another stupid question:

would bad gas cause:

a: the truck to run spotty and jerky going forward but still fine in reverse?

b: to puff out dirty brown and grey smoke when I pump the gas?

c: run rough

I know that, most likely, I just have a case of "hey dan, just get new gas you idiot" going here, but I'm just wondering why I can back up perfectly fine, but going forward jerky and spotty.

now if I can just get my brakes to quit clunking and sticking, i might be able to get this truck out onthe streets.

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

Inline.........................

Yes, as you're giving it way less pedal in reverse + you have a really short reverse gear, placing less load on the engine.

Yup.

Yup.

Just drain the tank, blow out the lines, fill her up with premium and a fuel system cleaner and be on your way.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

scribbled:

thanks, I just wnted to make sure what my own hypothesis was (based a lot on what ive heard on here from my earlier carb/bad gas fiasco) was logical.

my sister is visiting, so I need an excuse to be away from her, so now i have it.

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan