C180 W202 Idle Speed

Can anyone confirm that the idle speed on a '95 C180 is around 1400rpm for 14 seconds before dropping back to 700rpm when sitting at a stop light etc.
During the first few minutes after starting, the idle speed settles down at 700 rpm when idling. After about 3 minutes driving it reverts back to the 1400rpm for 14 seconds while idling.....and then back to 700rpm .... this cycle is maintained until the car is started again.
Daimler Chrysler state that that's normal for this particular C180.
Bernard.
I speculate that the momentary high idle is to warm up or keep the catalytic converters hot during idle. Ask if the catalysts have heat sensors or heaters one of those may be the cause.
permission.
Bernard Rother wrote:

Well how the hell would they know?
Rob wrote:

Dunno, maybe it's because they are the only organisation in South Africa who markets them ?
I would do some more research on this. It seems like 700 rpm difference is too much. It sounds like BS to me in order to not have to hassle with your car. Cars up the idle with the air conditioning on but it is only a few hundred rpm. I would go do some research at http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/ and http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f  where C180's are very common among the forum members.