CLS 55 AMG - The four-door coupe as AMG

Page 1 of 2
For some photos and text of the new CLS 55 AMG (the four-door coupe based upon the E-Class) go to
http://www.mbspy.com/cls55amg.htm
Juergen MBSPY webmaster http://www.mbspy.com

Another upright star bites the dust. Shame...
Otherwise looks great.
Four-door coupe an interesting new use of the word coupe, isn't it?
DAS
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Yes, we will see the upright star on the C-, E- and S-Class only (not counting the Maybach here).

I don't like the look that much - but it introduces itself to the public before in autumn next year the new S-Class will be presented... ;-) Besides that the CLS IMHO is another superfluous car, splitting the model line into too many models, filling even the niches of the niches; and it is not difficult to forecast that sales numbers of the CLS will be very low.

Seen strictly the term _four-door coupe_ of course is pure nonsense - but hey, all the overpaid MB marketing folk has to prove its existence =:-(
Juergen --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Maybach has an upright M, of course. Will those overpaid marketing people dream up a sporty Maybach version with the M in the grille? ... Maybe with that 800 PS motor...?....
DAS
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

800 PS?
That'll be three updates from now I guess...
And what those folk dream of? Maybach ...aeh: maybe from someone giving them at least a liitle bit of competence??
But as their top boss does not have any clue... ==:-((
Juergen
FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

Especially since a coupe is, strictly speaking, defined by the number of *seats* rather than the number of doors, but I gave up expecting accuracy on that point years ago.
--/<eith
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:59:09 -0500, Keith Baird

So, if I keep the rear seats folded away on my C320 Wagon, it becomes a coupe?
Kal
FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

Keith Baird wrote:

If a coupe is defined by the number of seats, then what number would that be? And who came up with that definition?
Best regards, Danny

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (E 55 AMG) wrote:

It's the simple dictionary definition. Originally, a coupe was an enclosed horse-drawn carriage for two people. The term was later applied to enclosed (i.e. fixed roof) two-person automobiles. Still later, the term was more loosely applied to any automobile with two doors, even if it had seating for four or more. Now, with the CLS-class, apparently a "coupe" is any automobile with a low roofline. But the *strict* definition of a coupe remains an enclosed two-person (i.e. two-seat) conveyance.
--/<eith
FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

This is not at all a new use of the word coupe. In the 1960s, there was the Rover 3 Litre Mk III Saloon (Sedan) and Coupe. Interestingly, both models had 4 doors. Also, what would you call the Mada RX-8? I would say it is a coupe although it has 4 doors.
Best regards,
Danny
E 55 AMG wrote:

Good point, Danny!
So my _...but hey, all the overpaid MB marketing folk has to prove its existence =:-( _ is wrong as they not even can do THAT! ====:-((((
Juergen - 1982 W123 240D auto Euro sedan now an AMG as it is _Always Mighty Good_ ??
FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

Is is me.... or in profile, does it look a little like the Lexus convertible?