Cruise Control

Hi,
I have a 1995 E220 as well as a 1990 200EA, and on both vehicles the cruise control fails to engage and on the E220 the rear head rests no longer drop
to the rest possition. I went to my local MB agent and asked how much to look at the problem and the starting price was 2500 pounds (converted from SA rands about a years salary for some), just to look at the E220 CC henced priced out of the market.
Therefore it's going to be down to me to resolve the problems, armed with a tool set and soldering iron, where do I start?
I have no knowledge of where any of the components are found so if anyone has a step by step guide I'd be happy to give it a go
Regards Neil South Africa.
have you checked the vacuum lines? vacuum leak will cause headrest problem-fuse for cruise?