cruising speed of 240d automatic

I just bought a 82 240d automatic. I am very happy with the car. I have one concern. Is it suppose to rev so high at 65 mph? Does it change gearson the freeway?

What you see is what you get. A 68 horse power motor has to run at about 3,000 to push the car at 65 mph. The top speed is about 80. The small lines on the speedo indicate the maximum for each gear.
High revolutions don't hurt these engines so drive on.