2.3 pings at cruising speed.

Here's a teaser. My '80 Capri 2.3 pings only at cruising speed (light throttle.) I thought I had found the problem tonight, when I found that a previous owner had disconnected the manifold vacuum from the distributor advance. No manifold vacuum at a point where it should be high, so even the weak ported vacuum at that spot can advance the timing too much.

I hooked the manifold vacuum back up, and the car does run better, but the pinging is still there. Push the pedal down and it goes away. I did have the head off several months ago, and there was little, if any carbon buildup.

Any ideas?

Reply to
elaich

Are you sure you've got that right?

Have you checked the plug insulators? I bet they are white as can be.. if so, it's no wonder you dont have carbon. You're running lean

I'd start with rebuilding the carb.

if that doesnt do it, increase the main jet size a little... you COULD try running out the idle jets a turn and see if it affects.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns99D5A8EB77C64pettyfogery@207.115.33.102:

That's possible. It's that damned two stage Holley that costs $75 to rebuild, and $234 for a remanned. The thing has four jets in it, and they are all different. If someone ever took them out and put them back in the wrong holes, that could be the problem.

See above. I'm gonna stick a Holley 350 CFM 2 barrel on it.

Reply to
elaich